1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Thanks Can use coupon: Specific Users

Discussion in 'Resolved Suggestions' started by Liam W, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Liam W

Liam W Member

There are multiple instances where we may want a coupon to only be usable by a specific user or users.

Please consider adding this functionality (as well as automatic application to specific users).

Liam

2. Chris D

Chris D Xen Resources Developer Staff Member Xen Notices

I'm going to No Thanks this but I may review it in the future.

In my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with using user groups for this. I've already applied coupons to a small number of users by adding those users to a new user group.

I also feel like if you have a 10% off coupon that you want to give to a specific person, then create a user group for that coupon. Later on, you may want to give that coupon to other users. At that point it's a case of managing the user group membership more than granularly managing the coupon itself (if that makes sense).

Ultimately I feel like in terms of effort there's not much difference between adding users to coupons and adding users to user groups.

3. robbie

robbie New Member

Chris, what is the extra overhead on xenforo with extra usergroups? I avoid additional usergroups like the plague because I have several add ons and most of them extend permissions. I see each additional usergroup as a big overhead.

Are they an overhead? I really am not sure, but have always made that assumption.

4. Brogan

Brogan Administrator Staff Member Xen Notices

I have 20 user groups on my site.

robbie likes this.
  5. robbie

robbie New Member

6. Chris D

Chris D Xen Resources Developer Staff Member Xen Notices

It's not the usergroups themselves that are an issue. It's the permissions assigned to those usergroups that can be a problem.

Because it would be a secondary group, there would be no need to assign any permissions to it; so it would literally just be a logical grouping of users and therefore little to no impact on performance.

robbie likes this.