1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Categorisation? Tagging?

Discussion in 'General Pre-Sales and Support Questions' started by zooki, Apr 22, 2013.

1. zooki

zooki New Member

Hi, I was looking for a gallery solution. This looks to become a really wonderful add-on, so thank you Chris!

How can this add-on fulfil the following Use Case:

I wish for uploads of media about various locations, e.g. London, Paris etc However I wish to categorise the information based on whether the content is of "people" or "places".

I tested out the gallery, however there is no multiple category selection or tagging.

Therefore, I can not use the site in above method. - Any plans on changing the categorisation?

2. MattW

MattW Active Member

I think it would be better to ask Dinh Thanh if they would incorporate this into the XenTag mod, rather than this having it's own stand along tagging system.

3. zooki

zooki New Member

Giving an image ability to reside in more than one category would solve my problem! (just as wordpress works with posts) - Categorisation is more important than tagging.

Image of person drinking coffee would then be visible in France, Paris Cafe and French Food.

Right now, the lack of above functionality is stopping me from buying this :(

4. Chris D

Chris D Xen Resources Developer Staff Member Xen Notices

Media being multi-homed is coming in a future version - around the same time as the User Albums functionality.

The reason for this is because I want media to be able to be in a user album, and also be in a site category. With this flexibility it would also allow media to be in multiple categories and multiple albums.

Lots of stuff to work out so I can't promise when or that it'd be exactly how I explained.

5. zooki

zooki New Member

What you mentioned is better than what I anticipated! Mutli albums + User Albums sounds really useful.

Mutli-categories are what I want, so will this definitely be in? Media items often belong in more than one category, perhaps this is what you mean by "multi-homed".

I am guessing we would be able to upgrade when that functionality comes about? I would buy the software before the price increase that is mention on xenforo or can i do a "bagsy" on this :D

6. Dan

Dan New Member

Hi Chris, just wanted to send another voice of support for these features. This would be an incredible feature, seems like an elegant solution to features I am hoping for.

Solid work, thanks!

7. PyroM

PyroM Member Xen Notices

Hello Chris, I second this.

Although I always h***d Photopost Pro for 1000 reasons, this feature is one of the most important for my users (~ 60,000 images): users can decide to upload an image either in their private album only or to upload in an appropriate category, sub-category or sub-sub-category and it will be listed additionally in their private album too automatically. So other users find those images in the "correct" categories and can visit his private album, to see all of his images.

Did I understand it correctly, that this is what you plan to implement?!

Great - this would be one of 3 top arguments to buy xenForo and xen media gallery and to get rid of vB and PP, finally!

Chris D likes this.