1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion Conditional additional files in the same product

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Brett Chitty, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Brett Chitty

Brett Chitty New Member

At the moment I am selling mp3s - I had a few speakers who produced talks on my behalf for my business.
    I also got these talks transcribed, so I have a document/pdf to go with it.
    I would like to be able to offer the transcription as an additional cost item in the same product.
    For example, an mp3 is £7.50, and there is an transcription (doc/pdf) for an additional fee.

What I don't want to do is to offer the transcriptions for sale by itself, without the accompanying mp3. If they want the transcriptions, I want to know they have the mp3 in the first place. If they could get the transcriptions without the accompanying mp3, it might stop them from buying the mp3.

I have a worldwide audience, and most of them have *some* understanding of the English language. I'd like to take advantage of the benefits a transcription can offer, and make money from them as transcriptions are currently an expense-only.

I'd be very grateful if you could make such a facility available.

in advance, thank you.

2. Chris D

Chris D Xen Resources Developer Staff Member Xen Notices

Unless I am misunderstanding, can't this be done with Optional Extras?

Optional Extras when purchased can either give access to a user group, some text (e.g. instructions to do something or redeem something) or a file download.

So, you would add the transcriptions as optional extras, and upload them to the optional extra. Then you would edit the purchasable "MP3" products and at the bottom you can specify which optional extras are purchasable, where you would select the transcriptions that you wish to make available with the MP3.

When someone clicks to purchase the MP3, they will get the option of also purchasing the transcription.

Once someone has purchased the MP3, they can go to the License page, where they will be able to download the transcription.

3. Brett Chitty

Brett Chitty New Member

Hi, I have just discovered Optional Extras.
    It would work, but I am not able to see how I can make the optional extra (a specific pdf transcription) assign to the product (specific mp3).
    I'm guessing if there was, it would show in the product page as an available optional extra, even before buying the mp3 ?

In advance, thank you !

4. Chris D

Chris D Xen Resources Developer Staff Member Xen Notices

Ah, that may be related to this bug:

https://xenresources.com/threads/add-additional-feautres-are-away.1971/#post-9971

You should be able to edit the product and at the bottom of the page, you should be able to choose which Extras apply to that product. If you can't see that, then try the fix I posted in the above link. It's just a quick template edit. I will be releasing a fix in the future, but I want to do some more work, first.

5. Brett Chitty

Brett Chitty New Member

Ah, thank you very much, the template edit solved the issue - appreciate the speedy support !

Chris D likes this.