1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Editing the preview images on forum home

Discussion in 'General Pre-Sales and Support Questions' started by Garamond, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Garamond

Garamond Member

Are there many variables in which we can edit the size, amount and what info is shown regarding the preview images show in top of forum home?

This is essential if we are going to use XenMediaGallery.

2. Chris D

Chris D Xen Resources Developer Staff Member Xen Notices

Yes, there are numerous settings available.

What you can actually do is this:

HTML:
        <xen:include template="xengallery_media_block">
            <xen:set var="$blockPhrase">Name of block</xen:set>
            <xen:set var="$blockId">SomeUniqueID</xen:set>
            <xen:set var="$type">new</xen:set> // You can set this to be "rand" for a random selection.
            <xen:set var="$maxSlides">20</xen:set> // Any number. Number of images to be loaded (not all are visible).
            <xen:set var="$categories">1,2,3,4,5</xen:set> // Comma separated list of categories
            <xen:set var="$isSidebarBlock">true</xen:set> // Sets the styling so it will look like a sidebar block
            <xen:set var="$slideWidth">200</xen:set> // Sets the width of the slides
            <xen:set var="$captions">false</xen:set> // Whether media title appears on hover or not.
        </xen:include>

You can pretty much put that code anywhere with any settings you like. e.g. you can set it up in widget framework, or you can set it up in XenPorta. Or you can use that code in any template you like.

I have done something similar and added it to the forum_list template. You can see this on the home page.

Veer likes this.
  3. Garamond

Garamond Member

Thanks for the swift reply :)

My suggestion would be that such changes could be done directly in admin CP, since these are powerful and (in my eyes) vital options.

4. Chris D

These options already exist:

upload_2014-1-4_18-56-4.png

(There are some missing, but they are still needing to be added).

My point was, Those are the options that can be configured for the top of forum list (and bottom of forum list) but you can also add the block anywhere in your site with any options you like.

Garamond and Veer like this.
  5. Garamond

Garamond Member

Excellent, Chris :)

6. Martok

Martok Active Member Xen Notices

@Chris Deeming - how do you add the block anywhere on the site? I'm wanting to add it to the sidebar in Widget Framework but I'm also interested in how it's added to the standard sidebar.

7. Chris D

8. Martok

Thanks Chris. I thought there might have been some additional options for users to have the Recent Media in the 'standard' sidebar rather than at the top of the forum list.

I've created an additional template with the code you linked to (adjusted to my needs). I've then added it into Widget Framework using the [Advanced] Template renderer. :)

9. Garamond

Garamond Member

Can this be accomplished on forum home? (preview images with extended info)

preview.png

10. Chris D

Not at this time.

It might be with some custom CSS, I guess, but there's no configurable options for that.

11. Martok

@Chris Deeming, since the latest update which has added the option to include media from albums, my Widget Framework & XenPorta sidebar blocks disappeared. I tracked this down to me commenting out

HTML:
    <xen:set var="$categories">1,2,3,4,5</xen:set>
    as previously doing this had included media from all categories and albums. So clearly this line needs including, but what should be put in there to include media from all categories and albums?

12. Chris D

I forgot to update you, with this. I wrote this post earlier and only just found it in my drafts... busy day ;(

So there's an $albums var too now:

<xen:set var="$albums">1</xen:set>

1 = all albums will show (not including it, or 0 will mean no albums will show)

You can also now do:

<xen:set var="$categories">0</xen:set>

This is the same as not setting it at all, as you've just found, it actually disables showing media that belongs to categories.

And finally (in the current version, I haven't uploaded this yet) you can also do:

<xen:set var="$categories">all</xen:set>

That should return all media from any category.

I'll post again when that version is available.

Martok likes this.
  13. Martok

Thanks, Chris. :)

Once the new version is available and I've tested it with Widget Framework and XenPorta, I'll make a new 'how to' post for these for folk to use.

0ptima likes this.
  14. Chris D

Thanks Andy, that's awesome :)

15. Garamond

Garamond Member

Are you willing to implement it if I pay you good money?

16. Garamond

Garamond Member

As a licensed gallery owner, I still hope there is an opportunity for me to pay for custom work. But I totally understand Chris is very busy these days.

17. Jōmon

Jōmon New Member Xen Notices

Chris, I have widget framework installed but do not have the skill to use it, and I do not have zenporta. I am also not that great at template modification yet. Will I still be able to use this add on just based on the options available in the ACP?

18. Chris D

We will make sure it gets done exactly how you want it.

I can either guide you through the process, or there's some very easy instructions in the Customer Area which are by @Martok which specifically tell you how to do it with Widget Framework :)

Jōmon likes this.
  19. Brogan

Brogan Administrator Staff Member Xen Notices

Yes, creating widgets or templates are entirely optional.

Having said that, whatever help you need, just ask and there are plenty of people who will be willing to help :)

Jōmon and Chris D like this.