1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importers?

Discussion in 'General Pre-Sales and Support Questions' started by nrep, Apr 19, 2013.

1. nrep

nrep Member

First of all I'd like to say how good it is to finally see a good XF gallery - it's been a long time to wait and I'm sure this will sell well :).

I've got a few sites using IPB Gallery and vBGallery that I'd like to convert to XF, but the lack of gallery has been holding off the transfer, so I'm excited that it looks like I can go ahead.

Are you planning a converter for the two apps listed above and if so, is there a ballpark estimate on time? I'm not asking for a date, just if it's going to happen in a matter of weeks, months or years?

Brad L, yavuz and Paul like this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan Administrator Staff Member Xen Notices

Based on the response so far, I'm guessing Chris may bump importers up the list a little.

To answer the question though, they are definitely planned.

theRKF, yavuz, ArnyVee and 1 other person like this.
  3. nrep

nrep Member

Excellent, I'm raring to go and get these sites converted.

Hopefully XF 1.2 won't be too far away and I can launch straight away with that.

4. Kevin

Kevin New Member Xen Notices

vBGallery for vBulletin importer? Why, yes, here you go, take this blank check!

5. Brogan

That'll do nicely :D

6. kefallon

kefallon New Member

We have already switched and have our vbulletin albums pictures stored in xenforo forum in vbulletin imported data, would be good if we can import straight from there???

7. theRKF, gldtn, Alien and 2 others like this.
  8. thomas

thomas New Member

I'll pull the trigger as soon as there's a Photopost importer. :)

theRKF likes this.
  9. nrep

nrep Member

Just bought my version now, although it won't be much use until there is an IPB or vBGallery importer I just wanted to send something your way for getting a gallery coded. Good work :).

Socially Uncensored and Chris D like this.
  10. Veer

Veer Active Member Xen Notices

Alien and Socially Uncensored like this.
  11. pgb

pgb New Member

Anyone still using PhotoPlog on vBulletin? I'd be happy to contribute towards an importer for it.

Btw, great gallery. Amazing progress in a short period of time. Bought my license yesterday.

Socially Uncensored and Chris D like this.
  12. Chris D

Chris D Xen Resources Developer Staff Member Xen Notices

Just an FYI on importers...

When I get round to starting them I'll begin with XenForo add-on importers first then cascade that out to the other forum product first party galleries and then eventually the stand alone galleries (Photopost, Gallery etc.).

Unfortunately this means some of you will be waiting longer than others... but I think it's a plan that makes sense.

I'm not going to get into the realms of freelance development for them with multiple people contributing to the cost, but I would hope that I'm not expected to code them for free :)

With that in mind, I will develop them but then charge a small amount for them separately with a bit of a looser license agreement (e.g. no on-going support cost, pay once and use it on as many sites as you like etc.)

All of this is subject to change, of course.

13. pgb

pgb New Member

Cool. Totally understandable. IMHO, Photoplog was one of the better galleries for vB (not stand-alone) before the developer went MIA. http://www.photoplog.com/demo/pro/index.php?c=1

There are still many forums out there using it including many that are likely on the fence over a migration to Xenforo. Hope it makes your list... and we wouldn't expect you to do it for free. ;)

Chris D likes this.
  14. 0ptima

0ptima Active Member

Please develop a Photo Post vBGallery importer.

Kevin, theRKF and nrep like this.
  15. Paid importers?

I have mixed thoughts on this.... Kind of bought into this with the promise of importers being part of the further development.

I guess I can see outside sources such as IP Gallery, vBGallery, ect.... Costing a few.

That is reasonable as those are "outside house coded" and may even require some investment. So its fair and logical that you would charge a small fee for such an importer.

But charging for the xenforo add-ons which are basically more "in house" and don't require any investment to obtain ..... I don't know Chris.

ibaker likes this.
  16. Chris D

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

My opinion is, if it takes me two days to develop an importer then I shouldn't have to do that work for free - especially when it takes time away from making the gallery better for new and existing customers.

With all things considered, you'll still be getting a bargain. First, you've got the gallery early which has saved you £20 as the price will go up once it has the User Albums functionality. Secondly, the cost of the importers will be low, nominal fees. You have to consider as well that not all add-ons out there are free and I can't create an importer without first purchasing the add-on I want to import from. Chances are I'll be out of pocket or evens on the development of each importer. Thirdly, if you have a million vBulletin sites with galleries, you'll only need to buy one copy of the importer as they'll have a much looser license agreement than the main gallery product.

Feel free to remain unsure. But I'm absolutely confident that it all still represents great value for money.

Tracy Perry, theRKF, MattW and 3 others like this.
  17. Brogan

It's the same amount of development work, which is what is being charged for.

Makes perfect sense to me.

18. @Chris Deeming

How much would you be willing to "sell" the rights to your importer for [XFR] User Albums and XenMedio (free edition), so that this can be released freely for everyone?

19. Chris D

I probably wouldn't.

Not really willing to discuss it much further. Nothing is concrete. Too many things are subject to change at this point so discussing things like this is pretty pointless right now.