1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Make licencing system optional to give product flexibility

Discussion in 'Resolved Suggestions' started by RobUK, Sep 6, 2014.

1. RobUK

RobUK New Member

My site sells digital products; they are actually downloadable PDF files (educational)... the products mod won't fit my needs because of the licencing factors - my users entering a URL for instance makes no sense to my usage. Can I suggest the first round of improvements and developments address the fact that not all digital products are website add ons. Had it not been for this issue, the mod would be perfect to sell e-books, video, music, templates and graphics, etc. If the licencing aspects were made optional at a per product level then this mod would be instantly more appealing to a great many more sites. :)

I hope you like the suggestion :)

NixFifty, Liam W, Bob B and 1 other person like this.
  2. luis

luis New Member Xen Notices

My support for this.

robbie likes this.
  3. Chris D

Chris D Xen Resources Developer Staff Member Xen Notices

Ok. This is implemented in 1.1.0.

It sort of goes together with this suggestion so products can now be set to no longer expire (just don't set an initial support duration). https://xenresources.com/threads/non-expiring-products.1740/

For each product you can now toggle this (on by default):
    upload_2014-9-8_21-10-47.png

If this option is unchecked, when the product is purchased, it will automatically be marked as "active". There will be no requirement to "activate" it by adding a name and URL. There is already a permission to remove the ability to set the name and URL; but now it is no longer a prerequisite before downloading the product.

I suppose it is also worth noting another small change:

upload_2014-9-8_21-13-46.png

This is probably familiar; except this page usually has three tabs. Active, Inactive and Expired licenses. It seemed appropriate to me to only show a tab if you have a license that applies to that state. I think this makes the interface a little bit cleaner and less busy for newer users.

shannon renee, RobUK, robbie and 2 others like this.
  4. Bob B

Bob B New Member Xen Product Manager

I like the way you choose to do this one!

robbie and Chris D like this.
  5. robbie

robbie New Member

Nice job!

Chris, you may be one step ahead of me here but to better support a system where licensing is optional, I've given some thought on the phrasing used - if "license" and "licensing" could be used only when required then it would make more sense to sites that will not use licensing at all. To support this without impacting on the add on functionality, I thought that "my orders" could be changed to "my invoices" and My licenses changed to my products. Inactive and active "licenses" become inactive and active "products" - obviously license information needs to be provided for an inactive product as appropriate.

As I don't own the add on yet (waiting for 1.1) I may be jumping the gun, but thought it worth a mention :)

Thanks for your hard work on this awesome addon.

6. Chris D

Chris D Xen Resources Developer Staff Member Xen Notices

When 1.1 arrives licensing effectively is optional.

The things you said are basically phrases that can be changed so there's nothing else to do really.

shannon renee and robbie like this.