1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what kind of exif data does XMG recognize?

Discussion in 'General Pre-Sales and Support Questions' started by moshbit, Mar 11, 2014.

1. moshbit

moshbit New Member

Just curious, since I'm using Lightroom, and I add keywords and titles to my pictures, and I was wondering if XMG recognizes any of that metadata? like, it would be neat even if it only recognized the title and automatically added it to the title of the picture.

so i guess im wondering if XMG can get this data from the picture file? Thanks!

2. Chris D

Chris D Xen Resources Developer Staff Member Xen Notices

I've tried to design the system quite flexibly so you should be able to display pretty much any exif attribute.

Best thing to do is upload one of your images to the gallery here, then tell me some EXIF information and I'll have a look if we capture it.

We actually capture and store all available EXIF data, but we only show the values you set in the Admin CP by default.

3. moshbit

moshbit New Member

hmm, i tried uploading a keyworded image from my adobe lightroom collection and none of it showed up in the description, so i'm guessing lightroom doesn't embed things like title, caption/description, and keyword tags as EXIF data.

or, like you said, maybe the admin cp isn't configured to show it? anyways, here's a link to the picture in question:

http://xenmediagallery.com/media/downtownashland_2003-04-19-jpg.898/

i do a huge amount of work in lightroom, so it would be frickin amazing to be able to import data like captions/titles/keywords etc... that would make this my dream plugin :)

4. Chris D

upload_2014-3-12_19-46-53.png

Just done some debugging on that image and I can see that this is the EXIF data that we capture.

Is ImageDescription and Artist something you add yourself? Is there anything else specifically in that photo that I should be able to see? If so, I don't think it gets processed as EXIF data. As such there'd be no way of extracting that information.

5. moshbit

moshbit New Member

hmmm... interesting. it looks like "ImageDescription" is the 'caption' field in lightroom:

lightroom1.png

'Artist' is the 'creator' field just below the caption highlighted in the picture above. seems strange how the title field isn't showing at all.

using jeffery's exif viewer at http://regex.info/exif.cgi ...

it appears that lightroom only puts the 'artist' and 'imagedescription' (caption) in the exif data, and the title/caption/etc in the XMP data?

exifviewer.png

fortunately that data is being embedded in the file, so i would imagine there would be a way to extract it and place it in the 'title' and 'description' fields when the picture is uploaded?

so this may be a feature request... of course if this stuff is completely outside the scope of your plugin i totally understand.

i just bought the plugin and am importing everything from xengallery and xenmedio, so i'm excited to start playing around with this :)

6. boban

boban Member

Just add to EXIF Parameters:

IFD0 Artist {value}
    IFD0 Title {value}
    IFD0 Keywords {value}
    IFD0 Comments {value}

7. moshbit

moshbit New Member

i added those fields and uploaded an image, but nothing was put in the title and description fields.

8. Chris D

There isn't a feature that would automatically place them in the title and description fields.

9. moshbit

moshbit New Member

ok. could i post a feature request, or maybe we could just move this thread there?

10. Chris D

Yes, please post a new thread in the suggestions forum. This thread has been useful to answer a couple of questions about EXIF data, a new thread would probably be better for the suggestion you wish to make.

moshbit likes this.